Sunday, July 15, 2007

Residency on Ice

Much of the medical education process has left me with the vague feeling that there's a secret rule book out there somewhere that I was supposed to read but never saw.

For example, I'm currently making a list of residency programs that I will be applying to, so I've been spending quite a bit of time reading their web sites. They often have profiles of their current residents, which can be a very helpful indicator of whether one might be a good fit in terms of background, competitiveness, etc. In fact, the profiles are often blurbs written by the residents themselves. A popular format is a questionnaire, and a common question is "What was the most interesting job you worked before medical school?" Oddly, several times already I've come across the answer "driving a Zamboni." Really!? Is this a common job for pre-meds? Is it considered a reliable guide to one's future performance as a resident physician? Are there really that many biochemistry majors across the country resurfacing ice rinks?

I honestly have no idea what to make of this.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home