Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mallet, please.

I'm really digging the orthopaedics surgeries I've been scrubbing into. (That is, apart from getting to wear the super-cool space suit headgear.) A typical case involves power drills, reciprocating saws, various sizes and types of mallets, and mixing cement. In other surgical fields you manipulate tiny, delicate structures with subtle instrumentation. In ortho you saw off the end of a bone and hammer a long metal rod into it. Gotta admit that it's really fun. Hey, I'm a boy; what can I say?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2007 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Tom said...

Interesting. My friend Dr. Simon, an OBGYN I worked with in Liberia last year originally intended to specialize on orthopaedics. In his words, orthopaedic surgery is "just like carpentry - except the tools cost a lot more".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home