Saturday, November 3, 2007

I just want my Haldol

In the middle of the night a patient comes in to the E.R. requesting a refill of his antipsychotic medication. He's a large man with an angry demeanor and piercing eyes. He says that he ran out of his medication and just needs a small supply for the next few days. He leans over me with a clenched jaw and explains, setting his large bottle of Diet Mountain Dew on the floor, that he gets jittery when he drinks caffeine without his Haldol. At that point I realize I've made a rookie mistake: he's between me and the exam room door. And, of course, we're in the very last room down the hall farthest from the nurses' station. However, we complete the encounter without incident.

Let's get this gentleman some Haldol.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 4, 2007 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

...and let's get our intern an extendable baton, complete with instructions. Holy jittery mutherfuckers, Batman!

 
At November 8, 2007 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Tom said...

Glad you didn't become one of your own patients!!

 
At November 25, 2007 at 9:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I worked in banking, the first time I was given the task of interviewing business school students on campus, I dashed into the interview room and settled into the first seat i found, which was the one by the door. the first student came in, looked at me like i was an idiot, and sat on the other side of the table, facing the door and the clock. by the 2nd interview, i'd figured out i was supposed to be facing the door. after that embarrassing moment, i always made sure to be in the seat facing the door. Then i went to social work school and worked in a psych ER. the first time i interviewed a patient, we went into the interview room and i sat facing the door, motioning the patient to sit on the other side of the table by the door. fortunately, the hospital police (in NY's city hospitals, it's not just security guards, it's hospital police) were watching through the window and told me afterward that i had, once again, made an idiot of myself...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home