Sunday, July 6, 2008

Newbie's blues

It can be hard to settle into a new job. The other night I wrote some orders for a patient and got his hospital ID card, since all patient documents need to be embossed with the patient's information for safety reasons.

I found the swing-arm device that imprints the paper from the card, put in the paper and the card, and pushed down. Except that it wasn't the embosser -- it was a stapler. So now I've stapled the order sheet to the ID card that everyone else needs. And there I am, struggling to pull the staple out of the plastic without ripping the paper, and people are starting to wonder what I'm doing.

Finally managed to sort it all out while projecting, I'm sure, the sort of calm competence that we expect of our healthcare professionals.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home