Saturday, June 11, 2011

Limited resources

Prior to my recent round of music blogging, the last time I had really recorded music was in the late 90s. Now I'm starting to experiment with all the advances in music technology that have taken place since then, and I feel like a technological caveman who's just been thawed out of a block of ice.

Right now I'm sitting in a villa in a Balinese suburb with a laptop, a pair of headphones, and a few pieces of very inexpensive hardware and software, and I'm able to write, record, and share original music. By current standards I'm working with very limited resources, but still, this is pretty neat.

Ya gotta love the 21st century....

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need some geetar strumming on any of that, send me a file!

Tom B

 
At June 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous Steve Peha said...

Same here, Ben. Broke out Garage Band and a microphone the other night, and got some backing tracks of jazz standards from Hal Leonard. So I'm making some "rough" recordings. New original songs coming soon, I hope. Helps to have my own office now. Very quiet late at night here.

Last year I was interviewed by the new marketing guy for Finale on the origins of the Petrucci font. Turns out, no one left there knows anything about the early days of how the software was created. It was fun to go back through it all.

In other music news, George Litterst's music software company has been acquired by a company here in Durham so I get to see him once in a while. Patrick works there, too. He's a programmer and a professional percussionist. Plays with the NC Symphony once in a while.

It's great that you and I are getting back into making music. I still have a copy of "The Overachiever" if you want one!

Steve

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home