Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sew what?

For the past couple of weeks I've been working in the university hospital's ED. Although the cases are often medically complex and interesting -- liver and lung transplants, patients with multiple diseases, etc. -- we don't always see the same sort of banged-up trauma that we see on every shift at the county hospital.

But the other night at the end of a shift, a guy came in who had bashed his forehead. No multiple co-morbidities, no metabolic diseases I'd never heard of before, just a moderately complicated laceration that had to be repaired carefully given the cosmetic issues of facial injuries. And I have to confess -- I love sewing up lacerations. It was strangely peaceful to just settle into a room for a little while with my last patient of the night and stitch up his wound.

Such are the simple pleasures of my life these days....

Labels:

3 Comments:

At January 22, 2009 at 7:23 AM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

See? Needlework is a great alternative to getting a gun license!

Here's a warning: Should I ever need some minor medical mending I will coming to you, scotch in hand, and you can pull out the green and purple thread and go to town. Sounds like a great alternative to yet another boring tattoo.

 
At January 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, it occurs to me just now that one almost never sees such stitching up on the medical TV shows. There is, of course, the often dramatic bursting of stitches with attendant guts spilling out onto the floor. But not good old stitching. Perhaps I'm getting a jaundiced view of what it's like to be a doc when I settle into an episode of House or ER.

 
At January 23, 2009 at 5:26 AM , Blogger Scott J. said...

Please tell me you left something like "Home is where the Heart is" on his forehead.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home