Friday, December 26, 2008

Musicomedical nerdery

Here's an item for those of you who are fortunate enough to be nerds in the fields of both music and medicine. I recently pulled out my old violin to amuse myself with some bluegrass. I don't have anyone to play with at the moment, so I was playing along with recordings and needed to be able to tune my fiddle to a real pitch. (Sadly, my once excellent sense -- if I do say so myself -- of relative pitch has faded with years of disuse.) However, I don't have any other instruments with me at the moment; no keyboards, electronic tuners, not even a pitch pipe. Luckily, I recently did a rotation on the Neurology service and had the tools handy that are used for testing patients' vibration sense: tuning forks! Good patient care and a violin tuned to true pitch; it's a win-win.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At December 26, 2008 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

Oh, Heavens. The fiddle is out and Ben is coining terms like: musicomedical. Be afraid!

 
At December 28, 2008 at 7:15 AM , Blogger Scott J. said...

Now you'll just have to see if your fiddle is of any use in forming neurological diagnoses. I'm thinking: very possibly.

 
At December 29, 2008 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Little Sister said...

Bluegrass? Really? I had no idea we share appreciation in that genre. Fiddle-dee-dee.

 
At December 15, 2009 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was this before or after you dumped Megan
?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home