Sunday, December 7, 2008

Winter in California

Recently I had a rare and precious Saturday off, which meant that I could spend the day doing something with Lady M. We headed up the California coast where we climbed through the woods up a small mountain. Near the top we stopped in a clearing where we sat in the sun and ate our beef jerky and trail mix. It was so warm and pleasant that I even took off my trail-sweaty tee shirt.

Now, we've been nostalgic for the people we miss from the Midwest, and I have to admit that Melinda June's adventures settling in to her new city have had me thinking fondly about Chicago. However, reading her latest post reminds me of Lady M pointing out to me, as I sat shirtless in the sun in the woods in late November, that we sure wouldn't be doing that if we were in the Midwest right now.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At December 8, 2008 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Scott J. said...

Yeah, but... um...

No, you're right - Winter sucks when you get older.

 
At December 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Little Sister said...

Oh, tell me you don't miss the sound of snow crunching under your boots. The smell of crisp winter air. Or the amazing beauty of fresh snow in moonlight. Sitting inside with good friends and good wine while winter blows against the windows...I am such a romantic.

 
At December 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM , Blogger brenda k said...

I'm with you LS! Getting snow bound is such an adventure. Longest time we have ever been snowed in here was 2.5 days.

Oh...Hi Ben! I have been reading and lurking on your blog for awhile - thought I would say hello!

;-)

 
At December 9, 2008 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Melinda June said...

You are such an a**hole.

 
At December 10, 2008 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Little Sister said...

Well said, Melinda.

 
At December 11, 2008 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

Ben: You have such fabulous friends.

 
At December 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM , Blogger Tom said...

Meanwhile I'm afraid my reaction was to suppose that if you'd taken off your shirt home in San Fran you'd be mobbed by admiring young med students of all sorts of genders.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home