Tuesday, December 9, 2008

At the opera

In my past life as a musician I've spent a lot of time in theaters -- I've done my time onstage, backstage, in the orchestra pit, and behind the scenes. However, last weekend I had a chance to see a new aspect of theatrical life. One of the faculty in our program is house doctor at the San Francisco Opera, and he took me along to house call for La Boheme. We hung out in the actor's lounge ready to deal with any sore throats, sprained wrists, or broken ankles that might arise. Fortunately it was a quiet performance, medically speaking, but it was also a nice reminder of the diverse sort of opportunities available in emergency medicine.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 9, 2008 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Little Sister said...

Of course you did...bravo, bravo! Happy Holidays!!!!!!

 
At December 10, 2008 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask - did your colleague have any good stage medicine horror stories?

 
At December 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

Nice to know in case of the call for "Is there a doctor in the House" that you'll be there to disentangle the clarinet reed from a uvula as the overly aggressive french horn players are dragged away in chains.

I can only imagine what trouble a tenor can get up to, knowing that medical help is nearby.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home