Sunday, November 18, 2007

Past lives

Swept away by a wave of nostalgia this weekend. First of all, a confession: I had never seen Singles. I finally saw it last night, and when I realized the venue in many of the scenes was Seattle's late, lamented OK Hotel, well, I have to admit that I got a little sentimental. It was filmed shortly before our motley crew moved to and met in Seattle. The whole film was full of bits of Seattle that I remember fondly from those early 90s days, and it really took me back to the feeling of being a twentysomething newly arrived in the city that was the next big thing.

Then at a dinner party tonight I met a guy who was recently returned from years of studying piano at the New England Conservatory. It took me back to my own (much longer ago) days of studying music in Boston, and many reminiscences were reminisced.

After these pleasant memories of the past, however, it's time to look to the future. Which happens tomorrow when interview season begins for real. Stay tuned....

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 19, 2007 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

Remember the sloggy, gluey mud of February in Seattle.

 
At November 20, 2007 at 7:16 PM , Blogger Mnmom said...

Wish I had pretty-sounding memories like studying music in Boston or rainy days in Seattle. Mine are more along the lines of . . . . "the sound of Pac-Man reminds me of time I wasted in the Pub" or "the putrid smell of a meat processing plant reminds me of my days as a dirt poor social worker in Cedar Rapids".

 
At November 21, 2007 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Melinda June said...

I watch that movie when I'm homesick and think about how I'd walk past that building on my way to that great soul food restaurant.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home