Monday, January 28, 2008

Physician, heal thyself

Considering the endless hours I've spent breathing recirculated airplane air recently, I guess it should come as no surprise that I'm now fighting off a spell of viral upper respiratory misery. It does, however, make me aware of an unfortunate side effect of medical school, which has been to take away all of my usual strategies for cold self-medication. Sadly, I'm now all too familiar with the clinical trials that have largely failed to find any evidence that my cold remedies have any actual beneficial effect. And worse, because I'm aware of this they won't even work as placebos anymore! Hardly seems fair, somehow.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 29, 2008 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Madame Leiderhosen said...

Sleep, raw grated ginger in hot water, chicken soup. Don't make me come over there.

 
At January 30, 2008 at 3:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw an ad for Beleeva. Ask your doctor about it, Ben. It's a pill for pill takers that helps you believe in cures you would otherwise regard as bunk, thus allowing the placebo effect to kick in.

Side effects include increased voter turnout, consumer spending and church attendance.

"It's gull-ability... in a capsule!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home