Sunday, January 13, 2008

Road Warrior

Yesterday I completed the first continuous 24 hours I've spent at home since the start of the year. There has been much traveling and much interviewing over the past month. A few highlights:

I lived in Boston for almost 10 years, but a few weeks ago I returned to the city for the first time in over a decade. It was a sentimental journey to former residences, hangouts, and the old alma mater. The city looks beautiful -- it's in much better shape than when I left during the big recession in the early 90s. And the beer and sausages at Jacob Wirth are just as good as I remember from 15 years ago!

In Chicago applicants were invited to the residents' and faculty's annual holiday gift exchange. Many of the presents were whimsical or humorous, and when the dust settled I found myself in possession of a Durex Pleasure Wave Vibrating Pleasure Pack. That took some explaining when I got home to Lady M. ("But honey, it really was a job interview. Really!")

At a dinner in Massachusetts for applicants to meet residents I was the only applicant present. Five residents, assorted spouses (spice?), and little ol' me. Fortunately they were all very friendly and fun to hang out with. And I certainly had ample opportunity to get all of my questions answered.

In New York had a chance to hang out with Sis-Bob for several days. Saw a cut of her latest film, which was artistically impressive, very self-assured, and both funny and thought-provoking. Wow!

Upon sitting down in an interviewer's office in NYC he motioned towards his computer screen, which displayed none other than this very blog! Pretty much settles the debate about whether residency programs are googling me....

In Orange County I had an interview at which the backdrop through the window was the Crystal Cathedral. Afterwards I went over to check it out. I thought it was a very successful piece of architecture. The buildings are handsome and quite appropriate to their southern California location; the spire is well-sited, visible for many miles to the east along Chapman Avenue leading up into the hills. I do try to squeeze in whatever tourism I can on these trips.

On a commuter plane on the ground at O'Hare the gate agent asked the flight attendant "is this flight going to Cedar Rapids, Michigan?" The flight attendant replied that she expected it to go to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The past few weeks have been such a whirl, I'm not sure I remember which state we actually wound up in....

Now I have three whole days here at home before I fly out for the next interview. Time for sleep, laundry, and catching up on blogging!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home